Random sort

• kuro19
    Participant
    5 months ago #37570

Hi,

There is random sort and it used to work on Apache solr. After switch to Elasticsearch it’s no longer working, I don’t see error message so no idea how to debug this!

Can you please recheck?

Thank you.

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    5 months ago #37571

It could be due to https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/query-dsl-function-score-query.html#function-random:

It was possible to set a seed without setting a field, but this has been deprecated as this requires loading fielddata on the _id field which consumes a lot of memory.

It will be checked and eventually fixed on WPSOLR 23.6

kuro19
    Participant
    5 months ago #37582

Switched from Solr to Elasticsearch and the function just stop working so kind of unexpected! I’m looking forward to the update.

Thank you.

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    3 months, 2 weeks ago #38492

WPSOLR 23.6 is ready.

kuro19
    Participant
    3 months, 1 week ago #38507

Hi,

The random sort returns the same result as I tested on 23.6.

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    3 months, 1 week ago #38508

Randomness is across sessions: different visitors will see different results. But a visitor will see the same results.

Please try with a new session, like with another browser or in incognito mode.

kuro19
    Participant
    1 month, 3 weeks ago #39935

Hi,

I tested in incognito mode and the result is the same. Seem results are cached and I have no idea how to control it.

Can the random function actually be more random?

Thank you.

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    1 month, 3 weeks ago #39995

You can activate the Query monitor add-on, and check if the Elasticsearch random query yields a different seed with different sessions.

kuro19
    Participant
    1 month, 1 week ago #40314

Strangely, I cannot active the extension, it say “Feature-limited version, click to activate”!

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    1 month, 1 week ago #40333

Please deactivate your license, and reactivate it.

kuro19
    Participant
    1 month, 1 week ago #40334

But a visitor will see the same results.

I just notice this in your previous reply! If so, it’s not really random anymore. Can the seed expire after a certain time so the sort will be random again?

Thanks.

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    1 month, 1 week ago #40376

We use the same randomness for Apache Solr and Elasticsearch, generated from wp_get_session_token().

kuro19
    Participant
    1 month, 1 week ago #40446

It would explain why the sort result is the same when I test, unless a user logout and login again! Would it be better to consider another option such as expired by time?

Thanks.

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    1 month, 1 week ago #40498

We only provide this session-based random feature.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.