Large Databases

• timjones
    Participant
    4 years, 5 months ago #15541

Hello. I am just finding your plugin. I am brand new to this stuff so please go easy on me. I am creating a website that is going to have multiple millions of blog posts and I need them searchable by tags, such as mutiple checkboxs to narrow results… so each time a checkbox is checked, example “blue” it filters everything out the other blogs instantly, then if a checkbox is checked “big” it filters blogs again. As well we want to incorporate woocommerce and buddypress. Can your plugin handle extremely large databases? If so, I do not really understand the differences between Apache Solr, Elasticsearch and Algolia. Also, I know the pricing for Algolia : $12,480/year is accurate… so your algolia is not connected with algolia.com correct? Your pricing is $199 for the year, that I will host on my own server correct?

And last question,… (you can tell I am a rookie) but what does 20 integrations actually mean? How many integrations would I need for the above example?

I may need to hire someone to help integrate this for me, but just trying to understand now.

Thank you very much.

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    4 years, 5 months ago #15542

Exact, WPSOLR can filter your search results with any custom field, taxonomy, or product attribute.

Multi-million posts blog is not a problem for WPSOLR. Your main problem is your blog itself. So, if your blog is fast with millions of posts, then WPSOLR will be lightning fast as well.

For instance, https://foorum.perekool.ee/otsing/ (a bbPress forum with 3 million topics) is powered by WPSOLR.

You’re right, WPSOLR is a plugin, and its pricing does not include Elasticsearch, Solr, or Algolia hosting.

For your quantity of posts, hosting could be expensive, especially with Algolia. The usual idea is to host your own Elasticsearch or Solr for free instead.

WPSOLR is integrated with WooCommerce, but not with buddypress.

timjones
    Participant
    4 years, 5 months ago #15543

Thank you for the fast reply.

“Your main problem is your blog itself.”

>>>I am looking at getting a nice dedicated server… maybe spending $400 to $500 a month for one. So not a low end server. I think I should have enough resources to power the site?

“You’re right, WPSOLR is a plugin, and its pricing does not include Elasticsearch, Solr, or Algolia hosting.”

>>>So with my dedicated server and WPSOLR, I will not need any additional purchases, I will be set?

“For your quantity of posts, hosting could be expensive, especially with Algolia.”

>>>With WPSOLR for Apache Solr, I will need to purchase Algolia as well?

“The usual idea is to host your own Elasticsearch or Solr for free instead.”

>>>Will Elasticsearch be able to handle the load? How much additional storage space is needed. Example if my blogs take up 1TB of storage, how much additional storage is needed to power Elasticsearch?

“WPSOLR is integrated with WooCommerce, but not with buddypress.”

>>>So I can have fast results with WooCommerce and my blogs, but is there no solution for buddypress?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn.

Thank you again!!!!

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    4 years, 5 months ago #15544

A dedicated server is a bonus indeed. You should google for “WooCommerce with one million products” to get an idea of what is required. A good start is https://www.wpintense.com/2016/08/16/scaling-woocommerce-1-million-products-talk-wordcamp-brighton/

Algolia is not required. Just pick one search engine among Solr, Elasticsearch, or algolia.

With a local Elasticsearch or Solr, all you need is WPSOLR.

Elasticsearch will handle the load easily. It is optimized for inverted indexes search, and requires far less CPU/RAM than mySQL. For the disk, it depends on what content you index. To be sure, count on 2-3 times your content size.

No buddyPress for WPSOLR.

timjones
    Participant
    4 years, 5 months ago #15545

Thank you for that… Yes, I actually found that guys plugins about 2 weeks ago… I was fixing to ask you if I could use his plugin with your plugin? I am guessing it should be ok to do that.

I appreciate your feedback. From the looks of things, it appears I will be all set with the exception of buddypress content. I still need a solution for that. I feel like I am at a loss on how to handle buddypress data.

The only other thing I was concerned with is the 20 integrations, will be enough for my application? I am not sure what an integration is to be honest.

Thank you for everything. I will be purchasing your plugin in the near future and probably hire you to help integrate everything for me.

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    4 years, 5 months ago #15546

wpintense should be compatible indeed with WPSOLR.

Integrations are add-ons to work with other plugins, with specific search features. For instance, our WooCommerce integration enables filtering on product attributes.

For buddyPress, I can develop a sponsored add-on that will be integrated, maintained and supported in WPSOLR. Contact me to discuss the pricing when you’re ready.

timjones
    Participant
    4 years, 5 months ago #15547

Thank you again… how do I contact you?

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    timjones
    Participant
    4 years, 5 months ago #15549

OK, I went to: https://admin.wpsolr.com/#/signin but the signin would not work… so I left a message on the live help chat. Hopefully you got that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.