Autocomplete Suggestions Performance

• mcl7
    Participant
    3 years, 4 months ago #22841

My list of things that I need to do is much shorter!
    However, having a performance issue the suggestions / autocomplete. Basically, it is not as fast as I am used to Algolia being (both in and outside of WP). Testing WP Search for Algolia on the same theme there is a very noticeable difference. It feels like there is a delay setting somewhere as Algolia always been known to have an instant autocomplete (Like seen on WP Search for Algolia).

Any ideas? I tried changing the Ajax delay setting in the Theme add-on to 0 but it doesn’t seem to have done anything.

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    3 years, 4 months ago #22857

– Algolia’s instant search is a javascript calling Algolia servers directly.

– WPSOLR’s Algolia search is a backend search, executed by a PHP code called by a standard WP Ajax call. The WP Ajax call can be slow sometimes (it executes the full WP core). You can check in WPSOLR ALgolia’s logs how fast the Algolia’s call is, and compare it to the Ajax call.

mcl7
    Participant
    3 years, 4 months ago #22860

Just so I am clear here: The WPSolr autocomplete is not using the Instant Search (presumably what WP Search for Algolia is using for their autocomplete)?

If so, can you give some advice on how one would best go about building an Autocomplete that would work with WPsolr (using the instant search offers)?

mcl7
    Participant
    3 years, 4 months ago #22862

Another thought / feedback on the Autocomplete included with WPsolr.

This only applies when you are displaying multiple content types grouped together in the autocomplete:

In the past and with WP Search with Algolia plugin, instead of relying on just the main index to populate the autocomplete (specifically the attributes/categories/tags/etc.), separate indices are created for each filter that are queried simultaneously.

In the past I have seen this approach taken because there were hundreds of thousands of “tags” and without the autocomplete would take longer to load.

Not saying that this is the reason why the current implementation in WPsolr is slower than ideal but I figured it was useful feedback to help improve the plugin.

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    3 years, 4 months ago #22863

The WPSolr autocomplete is not using the Algolia Instant Search?

No, WPSOLR is using a WP compatible autocomplete (wp-ajax) to be able to integrate deep with WP.

Can you give some advice on how one would best go about building an Autocomplete that would work with WPsolr (using the instant search offers)

It would require a full design and development, not a simple advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.