Updated documentation?

• scmsteve
    Participant
    3 years, 6 months ago #22072

It would be really nice to have some end-user/initial-setup/better organized documentation. Trying to piece together the information here in the “Documentation”, “Guides” and “Knowledgeable” is proving very difficult, as many parts do not seem to line up with how the current software works, and it is only on the backend to get the index up and running, almost nothing about how to actually make use of it for setting up a front end, or the admin pages for things like WooCommerce order search/etc. The videos also are out of date, and with no audio it is very hard to follow what is being demonstrated.

I have tried a number of things with very mixed results, but none very positive. The backend setup was OK, I just can’t get the frontend stuff to be useful.

I am trying to set this up with a standalone Elasticsearch instance, with WooCommerce and BBPress support. It would be ideal to have the ability to have a search on the main page(s) that might pull from posts/pages/products, a dedicated products search page and then a dedicated BBpress search page. I tried using different settings in “2.3 SUggestiosn”, but in the end haven’t had any real progress.

And perhaps our theme’s search page is incompatible, but I cannot get anything to come up with facets/etc. I tried moving to the Storefront theme but it didn’t seem to make any difference.

Maybe someone else who has managed to get it set up and working could add some notes. 🙂

mcl7
    Participant
    3 years, 4 months ago #22584

Yeah, I agree. Many of the info links within the app are broken and go to the top level of the knowledge base instead of the actual page for the feature. Further, its hard to find the documentation that was referred to within the app.

With that said, this is by far the most robust solution for search.

wpsolr
    Keymaster
    mcl7
    Participant
    3 years, 4 months ago #22587

Nice!

scmsteve
    Participant
    3 years, 3 months ago #23106

I am not generally stupid, but I still can not figure out how to get anything useful out of this beyond getting elasticsearch loaded up locally, defining indexes, and seeing them index, but I can’t get anything meaningful at all in backend or frontend searches.

Is there a simple set of instructions specifically tailored for that? On the frontend to get it searching using this, ideally with perhaps search fields in different areas searching different content (i.e. posts versus pages versus products) and how to get the backend, for example the orders list, to use this search?

I’m really missing something vital but simple it seems, just can’t get anything to work. 🙁

scmsteve
    Participant
    3 years, 3 months ago #23108

I cannot edit my post, but I do see some search results, I just can not tailor anything to be the way I would like it despite changing the “Define your search” settings and jquery selectors/etc. I haven’t seen any examples about the backend search and how that is supposed to work, just the fact that it is mentioned that it does. Well, it doesn’t here. 🙂 That is, in the orders list, it isn’t displaying anything about orders, the search box is showing messages/replies from our bbpress forum. Very strange.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.